:-)

Ok, here's a copy of an "how to" guide from my tech. tips intranet site....

REQUIREMENTS

The InstSrv tool and the SrvAny tool from the Windows Server Resource Kit
should be installed on the server that will act as the batch server.

METHOD

To set up and configure an Axapta batch server to run as a Windows service,
follow these steps:

1. From the command prompt, type:-

        instsrv "Axapta batch server" path\srvany.exe

        Note: "Axapta batch server" will be the name of the service, and path
is the full path of the Srvany.exe file. If installing muliutple instances use
a nuique name for the service. E.g. "Axpta batch server - ERS Live".

        When the named service for the batch server is created successfully,
you receive the following message:
        "The service was successfully added!

        Note: srvany is the process the service runs under after it is started.
Make sure to go into the Services program to change the Account Name and
Password that this newly installed service will use for its Security Context."

2. Create a Windows domain account for the service to run under (e.g.
MYDOMAIN\axapta.batch).

3. Create an Axapta user account for the batch service. To do this, follow
these steps:

        a.  On the Main menu, point to Administration, and then click Users to
open the user form.
        b.  Press Ctrl+N, and then enter the account name on the Overview tab.
        c.  Click the General tab, and then specify the default company and the
Windows domain account created in step 2.
        d.  Click the Groups tab, and then make sure that the user who you
create has sufficient permissions to execute the required batch jobs.

4. Make sure that the Windows domain account created in step 2 has permissions
to log on locally as a service on the machine that the service runs on. To do
this, follow these steps:

        a.  Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Local Security Policy.
        b.  Under Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then
double-click the User Rights Assignment policy.
        c.  In the details pane, double-click the Log on as a service
permission, and then make sure that the Windows domain account has been granted
this permission.

5. Configure the service to log on to Windows by using the Windows account. To
do this, follow these steps:

        a.  Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Services.
        b.  In the details pane, click to select the Batch Server service,
right-click the Batch Server service, and then click Properties.
        c.  Set the startup type as needed. (i.e. Automatic, Manual or On
Demand)
        d.  Click the Log On tab, click This account, and then enter the
account name and the password of the domain account created in step 2.

6. In Registry Editor, configure the command-line parameters that the Batch
Server service will use. To do this, follow these steps. (Warning: If you use
Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require
you to reinstall your operating system.)

        a.  Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
        b.  In Registry Editor, expand the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service c.  Right-click the newly
created service name, point to New, and then click Key.
        d.  For the name of the new key, type Parameters.
        e.  To specify the Axapta Client as the target application, right-click
the Parameters subkey, point to New, and then click String Value.
        f.  Type the name of the new entry as Application.
        g.  Right-click Application, and then click Modify.
        h.  In the Edit String window, type the full path of the Axapta Client
application in the Value data box. Make sure to include the extension. For
example, you can use c:\Program Files\Axapta Client\Bin\Ax32.exe as the full
path.
        i.  To specify that the Axapta Client will start as a batch server,
right-click the Parameters subkey, point to New, and then click String Value.
        j.  Type the name of the new entry as AppParameters.
        k.  Right-click AppParameters, and then click Modify.
        l.  In the Edit String window, enter the following parameters in the
Value data box: "-regconfig=config -startupcmd=batch"

        Note: config is the name of the Axapta configuration that will be used
by the batch server as defined in the Axapta Configuration utility for the user
created in step 2. If using a configuration file (*.axc) rather than a
configuration defined in the tool then specify this as the AppParameters value
instead and ensure that the configuration file includes the batch startup
command.

7. To start the Axapta Batch Server service, follow these steps:

        a.  Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Services.
        b.  In the details pane, click to select the Batch Server service,
right-click the Batch Server service, and then click Properties.
        c.  Click Start.

Note: The service only monitors and processes batches that have not been
assigned to a specific batch queue.

Malcolm Burtt
Touchstone
People, Partnerships, Solutions