Hi all,

  I think most of you have encountered that the following problem before:

  Scenario:
  Purchase qty  100   per item costs 20
  Costing Method : FIFO

  Common mistakes:
  1.  Received qty 120 at cost 20 (at packing slip posting)
  2.  Received qty 100 but wrongly post the cost at 10 (at packing slip
posting)
  3.  Received qty 100 but invoiced qty 120 at cost 20
  4   Received qty 100 and invoiced qty 100 but at cost 10
  5.  Received qty 120 and invoiced qty 120 at cost 20

  I know we can do the adjustment in the wrongly posted purchase order line
(e.g. put a negative qty to adjust out the qty if posted excess qty ath packing
slip) but it is only applicable to adjust the packing slip transaction.  If the
line is also invoice posted then the adjustment will result in the invoice and
packing slip transactions being adjusted at the same date (will this have
impact on FIFO costing???).

  If a new negative line is being created in the purchase order then we have to
use Marking function to tag the return cost price to the cost price we intend
to make adjustment. If not, the system will post the return cost price at
Weighted Average cost and the difference between the return cost is posted to
Purchase Consumption account.

  Moreover, if the Invoice is being posted in a wrong amount but packing slip
is posted correctly, is it advisable to use GL journal for adjustment? Will
this cause discrepancy between the physical and financial cost? Should i
reverse the transaction totally (both invoice and packing slip) and re-post
again?

  There is one thing i also hope someone can shed some lights :  The FIFO
costing method in Axapta is based on the POSTING  DATE (meaning the date the
user post the transaction) or TRANSACTION DATE (the date which is input by the
users, i.e. packing date/invoice date) ?   For what i've discovered is that
Axapta is using POSTING DATE.  May i know what's the underlying logic for that?

  Hope the feedback may also help to clear some doubts of Axapta implementers.

  Thanks in advance.

  Best Regards,

  Jack Koh