I got some mails that people want to know more about outlook sync, so here we
go ...
  I have covered some basic things about it , if you want to dive deeper feel
free to explore or question me..

  Outlook Synchronization...
  Basically you can synchronize Outlook contacts, appointments and tasks to AX
contact presons and CRM - Activities. It is something simillar to synchronizing
outlook with your smart phones.

  The feature is part of CRM license. Though it was there in 3.0 also , but to
be frank it is very different and powerfull in 4.0.

  I will focus on how it works in 4.0...

Ax -

  Contact persons - \Menus\CRM\Contact persons

  Activities - \Menus\CRM\Activities - Activities type Appointment and Tasks
are synchronized to Ol.

  Now coming to how to set it up - Believe me its very simple ...

  1. Setup outlook on machine which has Ax client

  2. Map your Ax user to Ax employee. (Administration - users - user relations
- General - Internal user - Employee field)

  3. Go to employee form , contact information tab - enter email address same
as your outlook email address.

  4. Employee - Functions - Set current outlook user
  (Or alternatively you can use \Menus\CRM\Setup\Microsoft Office
Outlook\Microsoft Office Outlook Setup Wizard)

5. Optional - Function - Pick MS outlook Contact/app/task folder,etc. If you
dont do that it will sync ur default folders. Sometimes people want to
syncrhonize only special folders...

  6. Optional - Employee - Microsoft office Outlook tab - Parameters to control
sync like sync recurring appointments, sync private appointments/tasks,etc

  7.Optional - There are some parameters to control sync directions b/w outlook
and Ax and lot more stuff. See CRM - Setup - MS office Outlook  -...,CRM -
Periodic - MS office Outlook  -...

  8.To sync with outlook - CRM - Periodic - Microsoft office outlook sync -
Syncronize

For contacts you can also use My contacts form under MS office Outlook sync

  So how to control which contact persons or Activities you want to synchronize?

  1.For contact persons - The contact persons which need to be synced must
exist in My contacts.
  \Menus\CRM\Periodic\Microsoft Office Outlook synchronization\My contacts

  2.For activities - In Activiites form , under synchronization tab there is a
checkbox called "Check Syncronized". If it is ON , activity will be
syncronized. (by default it is ON).

Some Cool stuff about abt Ol sync in 4.0 -
  - It works with latest version of Outlook like 2007 , 2003 SP2 ,etc

  - Support for attendees/Recipients
In Ax 3.0 , CRM Activities/Appointments used to just store the name of the
attendee(s). A new feature in Ax 4.0 exists for attendees for both Ax and
Outlook Sync - Detailed information for attendees, activities for attendees
linked to organizing activity,etc .Extension to outlook sync for appointments ,
feature supported linking of appointments sent to recipients and attaching them
to respective attendees and their activities in Ax.

  - Support for recurence
Recurring appointments and tasks in outlook are synchronized to Ax and it is
possible to see recurrence pattern.

  - No outlook security prompts /dialogs
Outlook sync uses Extended MAPI as a result irrespective of your ol or exchange
version/settings you wont get security prompts/dialogs.
  Extended mapi - MapiEx* classes are present under system classes, people can
use it to communicate to outlook for supressing security prompts.

  - There is support to migrate if you want to format your PC or import /export
PSTs . Look for details - \Menus\CRM\Periodic\Microsoft Office Outlook
synchronization\Migrate

  - You can control synchronization direction at field level, can do force sync
(force from Ax to Ol),etc

  Note for techies -
  1. Ax synchronizes to Outlook client (and not Exchange).
  2. It uses OOM (Outlook Object Modal) and Extended MAPI

  Regards
  Mudit

lars_kjaersgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Hi Mudit,

I would be very interested in knowing more about OL sync. I would
appreciate it very much.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Lars

--- In Axapta-Knowledge-Village@yahoogroups.com, mudit mittal
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Abdul
>
> My first take on this one - Use outlook synchronization feature
in Ax , you can synchronize Ol contacts , appointments and tasks to
Ax (and vice-versa). So contact in ol will be represented by contact
persons in Ax. Then you can use Ax to send mails to those contact
persons. (Outlook sync is a powerfull feature which has been redone
in 4.0)

> If you dont want to create Contact persons in Ax for the
contacts in Ol , then you can still definately read the Address book
in Outlook and just write code to send mails. Easy way to get hold
of Contacts would be using Outlook Object Model and hooking through
COM. For sample code , look through class
smmSelectContactPersonsFromOutlook_Form - fetchContactsFromOutlook.
The method basically fetches the contacts from outlook and insert in
a temporary table and then show it on a form.

> PS - A note to all , if people are interested in knowing more
about Outlook syncrhonization , i can write about it.

> Regards
> Mudit
>

> Abdul Kadar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi,
>
> I would like to know that, is they any way to get all the
contact's email address stored in Microsoft Outlook to Axapta (into
reports, or forms, whatever). The intention is to write code to send
a common email to all the contacts.