Hi Neeraj,

Active Directory is an essential and inseparable part of the Windows 2000
network architecture that improves on the domain architecture of the Windows
NT 4.0 operating system to provide a directory service designed for
distributed networking environments.

Active Directory lets organizations efficiently share and manage information
about network resources and users. In addition, Active Directory acts as the
central authority for network security, letting the operating system readily
verify a user's identity and control his or her access to network resources.
Equally important, Active Directory acts as an integration point for
bringing systems together and consolidating management tasks.

The systems integration part is the prime target for Axapta using the Active
Directory. Whenever possible, Axapta uses the Active Directory to store,
share, and retrieve information interesting for more than one client or
program. When running an Axapta Object Server environment, the Object
Servers will be able to publish their existence in the Active Directory, and
the clients will be able to locate an appropriate Object Server by searching
the Active Directory. By using the Active Directory this way, the use of
Axapta will become service-centric rather than machine-centric. And even
more important, this indirection allows an administrator to centrally
redirect one or more users to alternative servers.