Were you running the workflow processing job?  If not, look for the
tutoral for workflow processing. That process must be running for the
submitted workflow to be forwarded to the appropriate person for
approval.

Also, you may want to examine the heirarchy of "positions" in HR. This
is how workflow forwards for approval - it looks for the person that
the requisitioner reports to.