Thanks Mary Ann,

Your idea makes some kind of sense if you look at the report object like a
word doc although the part about it automatically changing the value when I
look at the object is not like what happens in word.....

I did notice that if I look at the object using PC with no printer setup I
can see the original margin value (such as 0.00mm) but then when I look at
it with the PC with printer it is 6.27mm if I go back and look with the PC
with no printer then it is back at 0.00mm ... so there is not an actual
saved changed happening (hence why there was no USR layer getting created)!

The thing to be careful of is that if the object is exported then in the XPO
file it takes the value at the time of export!!! So it could be 0.00mm or
6.27mm depending on the client used for the export.  Of course when this xpo
is imported to another system the value in the file is used and hence a
'saved' change occurs (this was part of the problem as teh dev work was done
on a PC with no printer but then the export from dev was being done by a
client with printers setup)

Still have yet to get to the bottom of the problem so anyone else with any
info or ideas please do let me know

Thanks
James

  _____