Patrick van Beem
Sr. Software engineer

Quintiq

T +31 (0) 73 691 07 39
F +31 (0) 73 691 07 54
M +31 (0) 06 15 01 65 83
E patrick.van.b...@quintiq.com
I www.quintiq.com

I was not dealing with asynchronous operation in my application,
>>> so I don't know if you might need a separate thread-pool for
>>> each created environment.
>>>

>> The current implementation of a thread pool in axis is no thread pool but a
> collection of thread creation and deletion methods... So no...
>>
> But when creating environment you can pass your own thread pool. Would
> that not help?

No. The current implementation of axis relies on an infinite number of
available threads. It assumes that when it requests a thread, it's getting one
and it then starts the thread with a thread method / data. But in reality, a
thread pool would have a finite number of (re-used) threads. In the case of
axis, this would mean that the thread requesting the new thread would block
until a new thread is available. This is not what you want. For axis to work
with  a finite number of threads, the way it uses threads should change. It
should not request a thread, but it should submit a job (probably the thread
method and data) to the thread pool. The submitting thread can then continue an
the thread pool can decide when the job is performed by which thread.

Regards,

Quintiq Conference "Quintessence 09" Tuesday May 12th, 2009, Country Estate
Duin & Kruidberg, near Amsterdam Schiphol, The Netherlands - for more
information visit www.quintiq.com

the property of Quintiq. It is only intended for the person to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any
part thereof. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. Please note that
e-mails are susceptible to change, therefore they are not binding.