Hi,
    I'm far from a windows (or web services) expert, so I can only offer
some comments about the paradigm in general. I read this and thought of the
http basic authentication paradigm: the client makes a request to the
server, the server responds with a 401 Unauthorized response, which causes
the browser to automatically pop up a dialog box asking for credentials.
When they are supplied, the browser resubmits the request with the proper
credentials, and the server processes it.

I don't know what your client application is or at what point the web
service needs to get feedback, but the challenge/response paradigm might
work for you. You would have to return something to the client (e.g.,
javascript, an active-x reference) that triggers the MsgBox. The point is
that the requests are not nested in the authorization example, whereas the
situation you described does have the server->client request nested.

Lots of web sites use confirmation pages before completing some significant
transaction.

-Ben