Are the JavaMail and Activation JARs very big? I kind of don't mind the
dependency because of the value of having MTOM & OM married at the hip.

Another option is to introduce a static switch to disable the code ..
that way we need the jars to compile but say a cell phone deployment
doesn't want to ever support MTOM then it can turn on the compile time
switch and then run without the classes being on the classpath:

class OmOutput {
  private static boolean SUPPORT_MTOM_OPTIMIZATION = true;

  ..
}

now replace all use of "doOptimise" as a condition with "doOptimise &&
SUPPORT_MTOM_OPTIMIZATION".

s/doOptimise/doOptimize/.

BTW why isn't OmOutput in o.a.a.om.OmOutput ?? IMO that's where it
belongs .. it cannot be LLOM specific!

Sanjiva.