Hi,
> May be i am missing something...the difference in my mind is a person
> implementing a databinding layer should be able to access the
> attachements without having to build the om tree. straight from stax
> to java objects with no om and use whatever they need to store the
> attachments byte arrays or data handlers or some databinding specific
> construct.
IMO this is possible even in the current implementation. They can
easily use the functionality provided by the MIMEHelper.. I accept
that we need to come up with a much better API with much more
functionality.. Specially when talking about the outflow...

<quoting my earlier post>
But the OM will **not** get created irrespective of whether the
Caching is ON or OFF.. Remaining InputStream for the  Envelope is
buffered in a File or in memory as a FileDataSource of
MemoryDataSource depending on the size..
</quote>

As i have mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, MIME parser
operates one level lower to the stax+OM and we are buffering the
envelope at that level whenever we need to access the attachments...

Worried whether I'm making any sense....

~Thilina

> -- dims
>
> On 3/31/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 15:35 +0600, Thilina Gunarathne wrote:
> > > <quote Glen>
> > > What we want is a "thingy" which can be stored away and LATER used to
> > > get the real attachment data after all XML pulling is done
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > IMHO we are doing the exactly the same thing using OMTexts.. Currently
> > > we are doing this with more flexibility and of course with a catch..
> > > Flexibility is given by allowing the users to get the real attachment
> > > data if they wish while pulling the XML.. Catch is that we are
> > > buffering the SOAP Envelope in the MIME Parser which is underneath the
> > > StaxReader...
> >
> > Thilina, I don't see this as a catch - isn't it impossible to get to any
> > attachments without buffering the SOAP envelope? Or are you thinking
> > about reading the SOAP envelope and buffering it IFF someone actually
> > refers to an attachment?
> >
> > While that's interesting in theory, whoever sent the attachment more
> > often than not expected the other end to read the darn thing. I don't
> > see the point of that potential optimization. Maybe I'm missing
> > something.
> >
> > Sanjiva.
> >

> --

"May the SourcE be with u"