Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 10:25 +0530, Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
As for moving the codegen tool out, I'm not really sure we should be
doing that right now. One issue I see in that is the use of core Axis2
components inside the codegen module where there is a tight dependency
on Axis2 components such as the Axis service. Yet the codegen is
supposed to be "independent" to a certain extent and it surely belongs
in a seperate project.

So why not do it? All we need is to depend on the axis2-core jar right?
We can pick up a specific version of that from a maven repo and make it
work. I'm not seeing a negative reason for moving it out ...
We now have the data binding frameworks (at least JiBX, XMLBeans, and JAXB) decoupled from the codegen module for classloading purposes, but still tightly coupled in terms of the code. That means the couplings go both ways - codegen depends on the Axis2 core code, and the Axis2 data binding modules depend on codegen. The situation with ADB and JaxMe is even worse, since these haven't been made into separate plugin modules for the codegen yet (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-558 and http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-559). As long as there are these strong dependencies there appears to be little to gain by moving codegen into a separate project.

These difficulties aside, I don't really see a lot of benefit in moving this to a separate project. In the case of Axiom and TcpMon the coupling problems were much less and the use case for the code as separate entities much better, I'd think. Do you see other uses for the code generation beyond Axis2C?

We could codegen for PHP, for PHP binding build on top of Axis2C.
Thanks,
Samisa...

It seems to me like it's only useful for SOAP frameworks, and those all have their own code generation implementations.

I'd think the needs of the C code generation can be handled by just adding a target to the build that generates a zip with the jars needed for codegen. That would certainly make it easier for me and the other developers working on the codegen than having it as a separate project.

 - Dennis