Ok, rather than just +1 for a side, this is what I think.

Current maven1 system works !! Yes it is slow, but if you have gone
through the release process, then you will feel how useful current
scripts are. I agree that I do not know maven2 a lot, but I've seen the
speedup that it had given to Axiom build. Yes I agree maven2 will give
speed for the build process.
But until some one writes all the required release goals and the things
Dims had mentioned, I am sort of 0- (my veto is equivalent to 0- ;) )
for removing maven1 scripts. This is discussed long time back and
everyone was eager to maven2, but still none had converted the scripts.
(Look at Axis2-376, if you wanna get a rough idea about when this was
discussed earlier)

I prefer a working good system over a possibly better system.

Just my 2 cents.

Chinthaka