manage the next release of Synapse (i.e. 1.1) the way things are using a few tricks like putting our copy of the transport in-front of the Axis2-kernel etc. at runtime.

Why do you need trickery? The transports are coming out of axis2.xml .. why can you not simply put another transport in and take out the one(s) you don't like?
This is because we depend on the Axis2 1.3 "released" version from
Maven2 that now has a JMS and NIO-http/code copy of the code. Remember
my points on supporting JMS 1.0.1 for Synapse now, and improvements to
NIO-http/s to bring in the latest fixes from HttpCore.. so one solution
is for me to "rename" classes or the package, or load the
synapse-transports.jar that contains these fixes before the
axis2-kernel.jar at runtime. I have choosen the latter as in future, I
would like to continue to do fixes as necessary to these transports
under Synapse, and merge back into Axis2 at each major/minor Axis2
release. This will allow me to keep Synapse upto-date on transports - as
well as give all fixes back into Axis2 easily without asking for Axis2
releases if we had to fix a bug or require an enhancement in a transport

asankha