From my experiences working with companies moving to Axis2 I'd say about half are still using JDK 1.4. If they can't count on that support being maintained I think they're likely to reconsider adopting Axis2. Just having an archived 1.3 version of Axis2 won't be enough to convince them, unless they're already committed to moving to JDK 1.5 anyway.

It seems like bad timing to give up one of the major advantages of Axis2 over the Glassfish code and such. So -0 from me.

 - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java

Deepal Jayasinghe wrote:
Hi all ,

As you might remember few months back Glen asked the list about moving to JDK 1.5 and I think we got very positive feedback. So I thought of asking again and change the code to work with JDK 1.5 . The main reason behind sending this mail is due the dependency we have for annogen. As I can see that project is dead one and there is no development happening so I do not think it is a good idea to depend on such a project. In the meantime we have few issues with annogen as well ,first inner class problem (I have locally fixed that both in Axis2 and Annogen will commit soon) , second is the final class problem. I request a release from annogen after the changes that Dims did , but we did not get any reply so far.

We all know that we get better annotation support from JDK 1.5 so if we move to JDK 1.5 we can get rid of the annogen dependency and we can just use JDK for annotation processing. Other problem is generic support , if we move to JDK 1.5 we can have generic support in our POJOs. In addition to POJO we can get better concurrent support in JDK 1.5 as well.

So if we move to JDK 1.5 we can get better support , and I do not think any advantage of staying in 1.4 . If some user want to use Axis2 in JDK 1.4 they can happily use Axis2 1.3 , which is very stable version and working fine in 1.4 and 1.5.

If any user or developers have any concern on moving to JDK 1.5 please come forward and reply to this mail that will be very helpful for all of us.

Here is my +1 for moving to JDK 1.5 to and release Axis2 1.4 in JDK 1.5

Thank you,
Deepal