Hi Ruwan:

If a given transport really only has relevance in the Synapse environment, then of course that transport has no need to exist outside Synapse. But if a transport is generically useful, I'd prefer to see it somewhere in WS space as opposed to specifically within Synapse. And if some generic transport needs tweaking in particular ways for Synapse, then those ways should be exposed as configuration or plug-points on the transport, which get exercised by Synapse (but also tested in the transport build). Example - the nhttp transport could just include a callback property which, if set, passes the 202 to a listener and ignores it otherwise (perhaps that's exactly the way it works). In the SMTP case, we should discuss what happens, but again I don't see any issue with making a clean and useful general SMTP transport - why should there need to be two of them??

Here's my use case. Someone wants to use nhttp, or JMS, or SMTP, with Axis2. They're not a Synapse user and are not interested in downloading Synapse. I want to make sure that this user can easily locate, download, and install the transport they want. At the same time I want the Axis2 and the Synapse communities both sharing their skills to make the best set of transports available for Axis2 and of course Axis2+Synapse.

I'm not wedded to the details, as long as we can make that happen. It seems to me right now that ws-commons/transports is a better way to do this than having lots of extension transports in Synapse, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks,
--Glen

Ruwan Linton wrote:
I forgot to mention that, of cause one can use these transports with knowing the limitations and issues of those, when working directly with axis2

Thanks,
Ruwan