On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <deep...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Isuru,
>
> Thank you for taking your time and looking to this issues, but I do not
> agree the way you have address it, please see my comments below. The
> reason I am telling this is, as I can see this has so many issues, and
> you have made it complicated too :) . I believe you might know that we
> have version support for modules and we do not handle that like this. So
> this simply break the consistency, and this introduce new URL patterns ,
> though you have not encounter now, I am sure you are going to face a
> number of issues (when it come to dispatching).
>
> > Currently Axis2 can only deploy services at the repository/services
> > level. This makes it impossible to deploy several versions of the same
> > service.
> I do not agree, you can have the version name in the aar file, for
> example foo-1.0.aar and foo-1.1.aar. Then at the deployment time just
> append the version number to the service name (to make the service name
> unique)

This may be a possible way of doing versioning. But IMHO not the best way.
Please have a look at here[1]. If we follow what you have mentioned here
then we need to add
all files of axis2 versions into one folder and rename them as pom-1.5.xml,
pom-1.4.xml etc. No need to say this is a mess.
Consider a situation where you have 10 services and 5 versions. you can ask
the question why
can't you keep all in one folder. But the practical way is to have them in
separate folders with the version numbers.

So if we have the hierarchical deployment we can have directory based
versioning.

thanks,
Amila.

[1]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/branches/java/