A bug detection tool I ran recently identified a possible null pointer dereference in this very method. (line numbers don't match exactly but I was using 1.2beta3 source code).

The problem detected by the tool related to an unguarded dereference of the 'dSer' local var:

                   dSer.registerValueTarget(new BeanPropertyTarget(value,
                           propDesc, collectionIndex))

Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with the Axis code, nor how your scenario has caused this problem, but at least now that there is apparently a *real* user problem I hope my earlier bug report may be taken a bit more seriously ;-)

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-1924

Peter

Ramesh Vijayaraghavan wrote:

I am getting this exception when use an apache axis java client to consume a .NET webservice.
. The version of axis is 1.2RC3. Can somebody point out what the problem is
I am passing an input parameter with a forward slash like <COMPANYNAME>/<USERNAME>.
This is when I see this exception.

C:\downloads\test_ult_wrapped>java TestClient
- Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and javax.mail.i
nternet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled.
- Exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanDeserializer.onStartChild(BeanDeseri
alizer.java:282)
at org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.startElement(Deserial
izationContext.java:1035)
at org.apache.axis.message.SAX2EventRecorder.replay(SAX2EventRecorder.ja
va:165)
at org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement.publishToHandler(MessageElemen
t.java:1140)
at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.deserialize(RPCElement.java:238)
at org.apache.axis.message.RPCElement.getParams(RPCElement.java:386)

This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive this email in error, please return to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu Australia
Software Technology Pty Ltd, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]