TImothy,

Here is one that I have used:

<!-- Use this file to deploy some handlers/chains and services      -->
<!-- Two ways to do this:                                           -->
<!--   java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient deploy.wsdd          -->
<!--      after the axis server is running                          -->
<!-- or                                                             -->
<!--   java org.apache.axis.utils.Admin client|server deploy.wsdd   -->
<!--      from the same directory that the Axis engine runs         -->

<deployment
    xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/";
    xmlns:java="http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsdd/providers/java";>

  <!-- Services from ImageryService WSDL service -->

  <service name="ImageryService" provider="java:RPC" style="wrapped"
use="literal">
      <parameter name="wsdlTargetNamespace"
value="http://examples.com/ImageService"/>
      <parameter name="wsdlServiceElement" value="ImageryService"/>
      <parameter name="wsdlServicePort" value="ImageryService"/>
      <parameter name="sendMultiRefs" value="false"/>
      <parameter name="className"
value="com.examples.ImageService.ImageryServiceBindingSkeleton"/>
      <parameter name="wsdlPortType" value="ImageryServicePortType"/>
      <parameter name="typeMappingVersion" value="1.2"/>

      <typeMapping
        xmlns:ns="http://examples.com/ImageService";
        qname="ns:DataHandler"
        type="java:javax.activation.DataHandler"

serializer="org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.JAFDataHandlerSerializerFactory"

deserializer="org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.JAFDataHandlerDeserializerFactory"
        encodingStyle=""
      />
      <typeMapping
        xmlns:ns="http://examples.com/ImageService/types";
        qname="ns:>ImageInfo"
        type="java:com.examples.ImageService.types.ImageInfo"
        encodingStyle=""
      />
      <typeMapping
        xmlns:ns="http://examples.com/ImageService/types";
        qname="ns:>getImage"
        type="java:com.examples.ImageService.types.GetImage"
        encodingStyle=""
      />
      <typeMapping
        xmlns:ns="http://examples.com/ImageService/types";
        qname="ns:>replaceImage"
        type="java:com.examples.ImageService.types.ReplaceImage"
        encodingStyle=""
      />
      <typeMapping
        xmlns:ns="http://examples.com/ImageService/types";
        qname="ns:>addImage"
        type="java:com.examples.ImageService.types.AddImage"
        encodingStyle=""
      />
  </service>
</deployment>

I am fairly new to this but it looks like yours is missing the attribute :
provider="java:RPC"

regards
Karl Schwarz