i've seen this when i got redirected by an auth filter and the auth server sent
an HTML form (assuming the client was
a browser) which, of course, doesn't parse as soap very well.  it may be your
server is trying to return some form of
HTML error page or perhaps a generated directory listing (if the URL maps to a
directory).  relay through tcp mon or
get the client-side to dump the response to log to at least see what the client
is getting.

hth.