Hello,

I'm trying to invoke a simple web service method String
bounceMessage(String txt). I'm testing all style/use combinations,
rpc/enc rpc/lit doc/lit wrap/lit. My clients are JAX-RPC clients
(Dynamic Invocation Interface and Dynamic Proxy) and AxisClient. The web
service is sitting in either a J2EE container (WebSphere) or in
Tomcat+Axis (1.2.1).

Well, for all style/use combinations things seem to work fine, "even"
wrapped/lit works. But it's not working with doc/lit. Here is what
happens, when my web service is hosted by Tomcat/Axis:

When I use call.setOperationStyle("document") in my AxisClient or
call.setProperty(Call.OPERATION_STYLE_PROPERTY, "document") in my
JAX-RPC DII code, I end up with a message
   "No such operation 'txt'"
So it seems the server is trying to take "txt" (the parameter) for the
operation.

When I do not try to set the style to "document", I end up with a
message
   "SimpleDeserializer encountered a child element, which is NOT
expected, in something it was trying to deserialize."
I searched for this error message the net, found some information that
things should be fine with Axis 1.2.1, well, that's what I use but it's
not working, anyway. :-)

BTW: things are not working with doc/lit web service if I test the with
Sun JAX-RPC RI from J2EE 1.4 package too

So, is doc/lit in Axis (1.2.1) well supported? I could try to switch to
1.3, would make sense if doc/lit support has been enhanced there ...
   Merten