Hello Dov,

SERVER-CONFIG.WSDD VS DEPLOY.WSDD

- server-config.wsdd is the configuration file of the Axis Server. It
contains the description of all the web services that are deployed on
your server (+ some other configuration data).

- deploy.wsdd is generated at the same time as your stubs when you use
java2wsdl. deploy.wsdd is used by the deployment tool to deploy the
given service. Once your service is deployed, you no longer need this
file.

HOW TO DEPLOY A SERVICE IN AXIS ?

There are two ways :

- When your Axis Server is running invoking the AdminClient tool
 * command line sample :
    % java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient deploy.wsdd
 * command line doc :
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/user-guide.html#CustomDeploymentIntroducingWSDD
 * Ant task <axis-admin> doc : http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/ant/ant.html
 * Note that the deployment will be persistent (server-config.wsdd
will be updated)

- When you server is stopped invoking org.apache.axis.utils.Admin
 * Ant task doc : http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/StaticDeployment

SUGGESTION TO BUILD & DEPLOY

I prefer to deploy my web services in my Axis server at build time
rather than run time.

To do this, I use Ant tasks to wsdl2java and then deploy. It has the
great advantage of being reproductible.

It looks like this :

<target name="wsdl2javaSayHello" depends="init">
  <axis-wsdl2java
     output="src/java" deployScope="Application"
     verbose="true" serverSide="true" testcase="true"
     url="src/wsdl/helloWorld.wsdl">
  </axis-wsdl2java>
</target>

<target name="staticDeployHelloWorld">
  <java classname="org.apache.axis.utils.Admin"
     fork="true" dir="src/webapp/WEB-INF">

     <arg value="server" />
     <arg value="src/java/cyrille/ws/sample/deploy.wsdd" />
     <classpath>
        <pathelement location="target/classes" />
        <path refid="axis.classpath" />
     </classpath>
  </java>
</target>