Hello Jack,

As Jarmo pointed out, all client-side (generated) exceptions extend AxisFault. Are you not using the generated exceptions? The WSDL defines the interface, including the faults. Either you let Axis do the mapping to Java using its own generated classes, or you do not. I don't think Axis could do its job without them.

There is no need to catch an AxisFault first and then doing an instanceof. Jarmo must have written that code before he had his coffee ;) Your client does not (and should not) need to know that AxisFault is being used internally.

Could you show us the WSDL that defines your fault (complexType + <message>, etc.), the SOAP response containing the fault, and the code you use to catch the exception?

Regards,
Dies

Jack Lund wrote:
Yeah, I can see that that would be easier. Unfortunately, I have no control over the exceptions being thrown - I just need the client-side to be able to catch them *as* the exceptions that are originally thrown. I also am doing dynamic proxying rather than stubs/skeletons, so it makes it that more complicated.

From the debugging I've been able to do, it looks like the fault coming across contains the fully-qualified package name of the exception class, but for some reason on the client side it's not creating the exception. Since this is an area where there's practically no documentation, I'm finding myself pretty much randomly trying different things and seeing if they work.

The user's guide is really vague about this subject:

"If a method is marked as throwing an Exception that is not an instance or a subclass of java.rmi.RemoteException, then things are subtly different. The exception is no longer a SOAP Fault, but described as a wsdl:fault in the WSDL of the method. According to the JAX-RPC specification, your subclass of Exception must have accessor methods to access all the fields in the object to be marshalled /and/ a constructor that takes as parameters all the same fields (i.e, arguments of the same name and type). This is a kind of immutable variant of a normal JavaBean <http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans>. The fields in the object must be of the datatypes that can be reliably mapped into WSDL.

If your exception meets this specification, then the WSDL describing the method will describe the exception too, enabling callers to create stub implementations of the exception, regardless of platform."

I was kind of hoping someone else out there would have had some experience with getting this to work.

-Jack

Jarmo Doc wrote:

I have an Axis client stub which was generated from WSDL. *All* of the client-side user-defined exceptions extend org.apache.axis.AxisFault.

The equivalent exceptions at the server also extend org.apache.axis.AxisFault, rather than Exception.

This is a decidedly dodgy area, imo, especially when it comes to interop with non-Axis clients.