From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of D.Kreft
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 1:37 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Axis2: simple service fails to work

On 9/25/06, Davanum Srinivas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> JIRA Please. Can i assume you are trying the nightly?

No, I'm not using the nightly. I'm using the last "good" release--1.0
because I'm trying to develop a *production* application for my
employer, and the thought of having core business functionality
running on a nightly release of third-party software quite frankly is
not a sane development practice--there is too much money on the line
here.

I think at this point, I'm going to have to complete give up on using Axis2.

I and another developer I work with have had a number of difficulties
with Axis 1.4, none of which I'll bother to go into here, but suffice
to say that when we saw that Axis2 had finally reached version 1.0
("out of Beta" we thought), we were optimistic that the revised Axis
would obviate the need for some of the hacks we have in place to
overcome some of Axis's quirks. So I got my manager's blessing to see
what it takes to take the humble beginnings of my new service (already
mostly functional in Axis 1.4) and make it work in Axis2. I was hoping
it'd be a fairly straightforward deal, but after working on it for
five solid days, I have nothing more to show for my hard work than a
handful e-mails to this list, three subsequent requests for me to file
JIRAs, and a crippled service.

Did I misinterpret the major-number version bump? Is Axis2 really not
out of Beta yet? Because if it *is* supposed to be out of Beta at this
stage, then I cannot help but be profoundly disappointed....the
documentation is very sparse, often times irrelevant, sometimes
contradictory, counter-intuitive, and not terribly clear when it can
be found (I actually found more information in artciles *about* Axis2
than I did from the actual Axis2 website!!!!).  If it's still
considered "Beta" then that needs to be *clearly* and prominently
documented on the Axis2 website.

But documentation woes aside, what really disappoints me is that it
doesn't look as if anyone tested the seemingly simple case where the
developer writes a service implementation class, let Axis2 divine its
own WSDL from it, and have at least one of the methods return a simple
object. Axis2 seems to have no problems returning simple data types
(ints, Strings, primitive arrays of strings, etc.), but as soon as an
object is returned, all Hades breaks loose. And now, writing a
brain-dead simple service fails and I have to file a bug report for
that!

So now I've lost a full week of productivity (and a few handfuls of
hair)...all because I naively thought that version 1.0 meant "Okay,
we're ready for the real world."  It obviously isn't, and I can't help
but think that someone got a little trigger-happy in promoting Axis2
to version 1.0. In my humble estimation, it could have used a bit more
time "baking" in Beta (i.e. with a 0.x version number). If I had any
idea that Axis was still so raw, I wouldn't have wasted a 40-hour work
week on trying to get it to work...or the couple of hours I've spent
this morning trying to come up with a "simple" example of Axis2 puking
when an object is returned from a service method.

I don't doubt that the Axis2 developers are working very hard to get
all these issues resolved, but for goodness sake...you can't release a
product as version 1.0--which implies a non-Beta, stable release--when
the new product lacks much of the basic functionality that people are
going to need and that they are used to having provided for them by
the previous release (Axis 1.x).

-dan