Anne,

One consequence of selecting Axis2 is that it does not [yet] support
the standard Java APIs for web services (JAX-RPC and JAX-WS). Axis2
uses a platform-specific object model, AXIOM, which is based on StAX,
for processing XML. For the most control, you can use the low-level
API, which represents message data as an OMElement. But you also have
the option of using any data binding system (JAXB, XMLBeans, JiBX,
ADB, etc) to convert the XML messages into Java objects for you.

This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by platform specific
object model?  How is AXIOM platform specific?  I'm thinking that its
all Java so . . . and I don't recall choosing a particular platform
flavor of the AXIS2 distribution?