You can use tcpmon as well to sniff axis request and response messages.
I thought it was easier to setup and is quite easy to use.

You just need to run the launch script from the download's bin and setup the
port on which you want to sniff.
Make sure your requests are sent to this port from where they will be forwarded
onto where ever your services are
deployed.

http://ws.apache.org/commons/tcpmon/

HTH.