Paul, you are right.

I would like to handle this at a configuration level instead of relying
on coding.

I know I can make a module for this, think something like Marcello
pointed to me some minutes ago (http://wso2.org/projects/commons/throttle).

I was hoping to find a way to handle it natively in a tomcat/axis2 setup
but maybe it's not yet there without involving code.

Thanks for your response.

Luis