Peter,

from http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-axis2soap/

Hot deployment and hot update

Availability is a big concern when it comes to enterprise-level applications. Even a short amount of downtime can be highly detrimental, so restarting a server is not a good option. You need to update your system without shutting it down. This is where hot deployment and hot update come in. Hot deployment and hot update are new features to the Apache Web services stack (such as Axis and Axis2). Here's what these features are:

* Hot deployment is the capability of deploying new services while the system is up and running. As an example, let's say that you have two services -- service1 and service2 -- up and running, and you deploy a new service called service3 without shutting down the system. Deploying service3 is a hot deployment scenario. As a system administrator, if you don't like the hot deployment of service, then you can turn that off easily by changing the Axis2 global configuration file called axis2.xml and changing the global configuration parameter like this: <parameter name="hotdeployment">false</parameter>. * Hot update is the ability to make changes to an existing Web service without shutting down the system. This is an important feature and required in a testing environment. However, it's not advisable to use hot update in a real-time system, because it could result in the system leading into an unknown state. Additionally, there's the possibility of loosening the existing service data of that service. To prevent this, Axis2 comes with the hot update parameter set to FALSE by default. If you want to have this feature, you can do this by changing the configuration parameter like this: <parameter name="hotupdate">true</parameter>.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter A. Kirk wrote:
Hi

If I simply copy a .aar file to the axis2/WEB-INF/services directory
under a running Tomcat, then my webservice is immediately available.

But if I make changes to my webservice, and copy the new .aar file (with
the same name as the old .aar file) to the services directory, then the
changes do not take affect until I restart Tomcat.

Is this normal behaviour? And is it possible to deploy an updated (but
same name) webservice .aar and have the changes immediately take affect
without having to restart Tomcat?

Thanks,
Peter

Chris Bowman