Hi Par,
I went through your custom exception scenario using Axis2-snapshot build. I noticed a compile error in the generated stub. Therefore I reported a bug at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3412 I hope your issue will also be considered when fixing the jira. If you want to add some comments, please add them to the same jira or report a seperate issue.

regards
Charitha

Pär Malmqvist wrote:

Hi!

Could you please have a look at the following issue if it can be resolved to
the Axis2 1.4 release.
I have asked the axis mailing list about this issue a couple of times the last
year but the problem has not been solved yet.

When creating a web service using existing business logic with "code first"
approach I dont think custom exceptions are handled the way it should. (Axis2 1.3)

Assume the following server side code:

package axis2test;
public class MyService {
   public MyService() {
   }
   public int addOneToPositiveValue(int value) throws CustomException {
       if(value < 1) {
           throw(new CustomException());
       }
return(value + 1);

package axis2test;
public class CustomException extends Exception { private static final long serialVersionUID = 999999999;
   public CustomException() {
       super();
   }
   public String toString() {
       return(super.toString() + ' axis2test.CustomException');

This is a webservice for MyService axis2test.MyService

I deploy the service, let Axis2 generate the .wsdl file and then create a
client with the wsdl2java tool (xmlbeans style).

The custom exception appears on the client side in the AxisFault details field
within  -tags together with a HUGE stack trace. This makes it hard for a client
to parse.

Is it posible to fix this to make it possible to use the generated client like:

try {
   stub.addOneToPositiveValue(-1);
}
catch(CustomException c) {
catch(Exception e) {

I have tried the parameters drillDownTo... and sendStackTrace...
It doesn't solve the problem for me.

Thanks.

/Pär

Charitha Kankanamge
WSO2 inc.
Flower Road, Colombo 07
+94 714268070

A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected