Paul,

Thanks. I saw MTOM during my research but I am very new to web services and
SOAP and I am finding some of these other features (including MTOM) a bit
daunting. Mostly, I need to make sure the web service I write can be accessed
not only by my Java client but also by our sister application, which is written
in PowerBuilder. It looks like you have to enable MTOM on the client but I am
unable to find how that can be done in PowerBuilder. It appears you have to
have PowerBuilder use .NET instead of EasySOAP, which is PowerBuilder's
implementation of SOAP. Sadly, my organization will not allow .NET so I am
limited. This is why I am using plain vanilla SOAP. The client creates a SOAP
message and calls the service. My web service doesn't do anything with SOAP
itself. It is just a Java class which generates XHTML and returns it. The SOAP
container on the server (Axis2) takes care of converting the
string to a SOAP message response. Somewhere in that process of taking my
string and converting it to a SOAP message is where it encodes it.

I did try changing the wsdl to have the return type be base64Binary but that
did not keep the XHTML from being encoded. I was hoping there would be a simple
change I can make to the wsdl to tell SOAP to ignore the content of the return
and don't encode it but maybe there isn't an easy way.

I will look further into MTOM. Maybe I can at least get it working via a Java
client. In the meantime, any other ideas from you or anyone else would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott