your SOAP response can be a URL to the file ..and hand the URL to FTP server
for bulk of the heavy lifting
another idea is to compress the file which will conserve bandwidth

the question is which server has the necessary bandwidth to handle the
transmission?
if you're bogging down your webapp server you might want consider clustering
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html

Most prod servers run with 4GB RAM
so you'll want to increment your stack and heap params to accomodate more RAM
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/javasdk/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.java.doc.diagnostics.60/diag/appendixes/defaults.html

heavy resource-intensive operations should be handled by threads to prevent
bogging down the JVM proc

you may also want to consider Chunked-encoding ..

Anyone else?
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.