Martin Gainty wrote:
took a quick look at the Axis distros and was only able to see tcp_receiver.c stub function which creates a thread ( but I cannot determine where this is called or referenced..? )
the call is

axis2_status_t AXIS2_CALL axis2_tcp_server_start(axis2_transport_receiver_t * server,const axutil_env_t *env)
{
    axis2_tcp_server_impl_t *server_impl = NULL;
    axis2_tcp_worker_t *worker = NULL;
    AXIS2_ENV_CHECK(env, AXIS2_FAILURE);

    server_impl = AXIS2_INTF_TO_IMPL(server);

//create the Thread and assign to server_impl
    server_impl->svr_thread = axis2_tcp_svr_thread_create(env,
server_impl->port);

any pointers/links/documentation as to how axis2_tcp_server_start is invoked is appreciated!

Have you looked into the TCP transport docs? http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_4_1/tcp-transport.html

Samisa...

Warm Regards
Martin