Thanks, Nandana,
With the help of a working example, I was eventually able to figure out what I had done wrong. It was error in the policy that I was attempting to attach to the message that caused it to be ignored.

I also learned a lot studying the various WS02 tutorials on this and related topics.

Thanks for taking the time to help,

Mary

Nandana Mihindukulasooriya wrote:
Hi Mary,

    Has anyone had success in attaching ws-policy at the message level
    in the xml.services file? I am trying to get the request  messages
    signed and time stamped and the response messages just time stamped.

I just tested this scenario with Axis2 1.4.1 and Rampart nightly build and worked as expected for me. I have attached the service [1] that I tested for your reference. I also included the SOAP messages for each of the scenarios I have tested. However in the response also, time stamp will be signed.
    I have followed Nandana's tutorial at https://wso2.org/library/3786
    and used the following PolicyAttachement element
    The service seems to just ignore the signedParts. E.g when I send it
    a non-signed body it does not reject the message. Just to see what
    was happening, I tried attaching the policy to the response message
    and it did not sign the response.

When you attach the policies as you have described above using the services.xml, do they appear on the generated WSDL ?

thanks,
nandana

[1] - https://wso2.org/repos/wso2/people/nandana/demo-service/demo-service.zip

--