Again apologies in advance if I've misunderstood.....

You talked of a util that encapsulates three WS client stub calls (all calls
on the same HttpClient object).
This util executes in a web container thread triggered by a request to your
portal app. You want to speed up the execution of the util.

My observation/suggestion is that, assuming the WS calls don't *need* to be
consecutive, you can speed things up by making all of the WS calls
simultaneously.

As it stands, it sounds to me like all of the action happens in the single
web container thread allocated to the request. The util executes in this
thread, the util makes calls to each of the stubs it holds, also in this
single thread.

It's with multiple threads (and stubs), not a pool of connections, that you
can make the stub calls simultaneous.  (although pooling the
stubs/connections should certainly help performance too)

To do this your util must create the extra threads it needs, or take them
from a threadpool, or whatever. In any case it needs to call each stub in a
separate thread, not just in the single thread allocated to the request.

Regards,

Michael