An AbstractMethodError can only occur if the dependencies at runtime
are different from the dependencies at build time. The stacktrace
shows that this happens somewhere inside Axiom. Since Axiom only
depends on very stable APIs (Activation, JavaMail and StAX), the only
possible explanation is that you have a mix of Axiom libraries from
different versions. Probably the version of axiom-dom you are using is
older than the version of axiom-api.

Andreas