I've been trying to use axis2 with rampart to work under Tomcat, and I
keep running into the same problem:

The rampart module doesn't seem to be working when axis is running under
  Tomcat.  Everything seems to work when run either under jetty as a war
(with maven, as part of our larger build process) or when we
build an aar, deploy that under $AXIS2_HOME/repository/services and run
$AXIS2_HOME/bin/axis2server.sh

When run under tomcat, any service that uses rampart is listed as
faulty, and the axis admin page lists rampart-1.4 as a "Faulty Module",
with no specific details as to what happened.

I've also been unable to find an axis2.log file anywhere, and the tomcat
logs do not provide any insight.

I'm using Axis2 1.5 and rampart 1.4, with Tomcat 5.5, hosted on Ubuntu.

So far, I've tried hosting a self-contained .war file under tomcat on a
system with no axis or rampart components external to the war (this is
my ideal deployment situation, if possible).  I've tried manually
building the war so that the rampart/rahas .mar files are in the war's
lib directory (this was necessary to get Jetty to launch the war
properly without an expanded version, but had no effect on deployment
under Tomcat.)

I've most recently tried following these directions:

http://wso2.org/library/knowledge-base/run-rampart-samples-apache-tomcat

with the result described above -- when I try to visit the service from
the axis2 service list (http://localhost:8180/axis2/listServices/) I see
this error in the browser: (this is produced with the Rampart sample 03
aar.)

This Web axisService has deployment faults

Error: org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException: The rampart
module is not valid or has not been deployed. at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.repository.util.ArchiveReader.processServiceGroup(ArchiveReader.java:151)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceDeployer.deploy(ServiceDeployer.java:81)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.repository.util.DeploymentFileData.deploy(DeploymentFileData.java:136)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentEngine.doDeploy(DeploymentEngine.java:663)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.repository.util.WSInfoList.update(WSInfoList.java:144)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.RepositoryListener.update(RepositoryListener.java:338)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.RepositoryListener.checkServices(RepositoryListener.java:241)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentEngine.loadServices(DeploymentEngine.java:131)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.WarBasedAxisConfigurator.loadServices(WarBasedAxisConfigurator.java:284)
at
org.apache.axis2.context.ConfigurationContextFactory.createConfigurationContext(ConfigurationContextFactory.java:95)
at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.initConfigContext(AxisServlet.java:525)
at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.init(AxisServlet.java:443)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1139)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:791)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:127)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:874)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595) Caused by:
org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException: The rampart module is
not valid or has not been deployed. at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceBuilder.populateService(ServiceBuilder.java:431)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.repository.util.ArchiveReader.buildServiceGroup(ArchiveReader.java:102)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.repository.util.ArchiveReader.processServiceGroup(ArchiveReader.java:144)
... 25 more Caused by: org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException:
The rampart module is not valid or has not been deployed. at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceBuilder.processModuleRefs(ServiceBuilder.java:678)
at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceBuilder.populateService(ServiceBuilder.java:327)
... 27 more Caused by: org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException:
The rampart module is not valid or has not been deployed. at
org.apache.axis2.deployment.ServiceBuilder.processModuleRefs(ServiceBuilder.java:670)
... 28 more

I'm going a bit nuts with this problem -- I've been googling and trying
different combinations of configuration for three days straight, and
I've hardly made any progress at all.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Rogan