Thank you for your answer, however it does not seem to work..  I get the same
error as before:
Here is a code snippet which implemented the suggested solution.

public GetAOIResponse getAOI(GetAOI request) throws SSBException {
                GetAOIResponse response = new GetAOIResponse();
                try {
                        response = cistub.getAOI(request);
                        cistub._getServiceClient().cleanupTransport();   //
Axis 2 V1.5.1
                } catch (AxisFault af) {
                        logger.error("Error with the local webservice", af);
                        af.printStackTrace();
                } catch (RemoteException re) {
                        logger.error("Cannot connect to local webservice", re);
                        re.printStackTrace();
                } catch (SSBException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }
                return response;
        }

This method will be called many times during its lifetime and I reuse
cistub.  Is that a problem?   I would like to avoid instantiating a new stub
everytime if possible.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Phil Willemann