W3C is doing SOAP 1.2, not SOAP 1.1. SOAP 1.1 will never be standardized.
Unfortunately, we still need to live with SOAP 1.1, with all its
inconsistencies and inadequacies. WS-I is trying to solve the interop
issues that result from the looseness of the SOAP 1.1 spec. And WS-I is
basing their work on "working code". They draw from real implementations
suffering from real interoperability issues, and they're designing a set
of profiles (i.e., constraints) that you can follow to ensure that you
build interoperable Web services. No -- these profiles aren't the
foundation specs. And WS-I doesn't presume to call itself a standards
organization. They are designing best practices.

> It'd be nice if Sun got involved with Axis too.

Not likely. They've got JWSDP.

Anne