From: Olaf Goerlitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 1:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: xml parser problem

I kept looking around for solutions of my problem and came across this
statement in axis' wiki:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AxisProjectPages/XMLParsers

Actually, this isn't really what I was looking for because this sounds
pretty much like either I use Xerces or it won't work!

Additionally, I'm not so familiar with the class loading mechanism. It
seems like AXIS is always using Xerces that can be found in
../tomcat/common/endorsed/xercesImpl.jar! Even if I wanted to use
another
XML parser implementation it would be conflicting with Xerces - or can I
deactivate Xerces?

I'd appreciate any comment on this.
Olaf

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Olaf Goerlitz wrote:

> We are currently using the gnu japx implementation for our xml
parsing.
> I encountered several problems in the last days when I tried to bind
our
> stuff to an AXIS web service. I was able to identify this as a library
> conflict (supposingly with the xerces parser tomcat uses) and I can
> resolve the problem for most of the cases by putting just the minimal
> amount of jars in my classpath.
> But one problem persists: As soon as I put gnujaxp.jar in
> ../tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB_INF/lib/ to make it accessible to my web
> service and then call it, the whole axis runtime screws up with
following
> exception:
>
> org.apache.axis.InternalException:
org.apache.axis.ConfigurationException:
> org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDException: Must include type
attribute for Handler deployment!
>       at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDHandler.<init>(WSDDHandler.java:89)
>       at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDeployment.<init>(WSDDDeployment.jav
a:224)
>       at
org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd.WSDDDocument.<init>(WSDDDocument.java:10
4)
>       at
org.apache.axis.configuration.FileProvider.configureEngine(FileProvider.
java:209)
>       at org.apache.axis.AxisEngine.init(AxisEngine.java:187)
>       at org.apache.axis.AxisEngine.<init>(AxisEngine.java:172)
>       at org.apache.axis.server.AxisServer.<init>(AxisServer.java:126)
>       at
org.apache.axis.server.DefaultAxisServerFactory.createServer(DefaultAxis
ServerFactory.java:148)
>       at
org.apache.axis.server.DefaultAxisServerFactory.getServer(DefaultAxisSer
verFactory.java:112)
>       at
org.apache.axis.server.AxisServer.getServer(AxisServer.java:111)
>       at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.getEngine(AxisServletBase
.java:221)
>       at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.getEngine(AxisServletBase
.java:187)
>       at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:785)
>       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)
>       at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisServletBase.j
ava:339)
>       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>
> Then I changed to Xerces and everything was fine.
> Does anybody have any clue what's going on?
> Since Xerces and GnuJaxp are both JAXP1.1 complient I should be able
> use them interchangeably, right?
>
> BTW: The decision to use GnuJaxp was made before I got involved but
I'd