Hi Dims,

The main specific issue I know of is that the BP forbids rpc/encoded and it generally appears very difficult to make Axis work with anything *other than* rpc/encoded. There have been many discussions on this list in the past (and I see a new one today) dealing with problems doing doc/lit in Axis. The only solution I've found to implementing doc/lit using Axis is to bypass code generation completely and go with a DOM model for the service (using the "Document handleRequest(Document request)" form of the service method interface).

As I understand it JAX-RPC 1.1 includes changes to support full BP compliant operation when using their code generation from WSDL. I haven't really experimented with this side of things, though, so don't know all the details.

- Dennis

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Dennis,

Have you submitted any bug reports? on where Axis lacks compliance? Do you have a small
example/test case/use-case that we can use to begin work on WS-I compliance?

Thanks,
dims

--- Dennis Sosnoski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

And as for Sun’s JWSDK, again, need more info.  My understanding is that
they shunned the WS-I and Microsoft’s attempts to work on interop.  In effect,
taking them out of the game.  A grim statement, if my understanding is still
accurate.  Hopefully, if it is not, someone will clarify their position for us.

Just for the record, Sun did not shun the WS-I and interop. The actual situation is the exact opposite of what you portrayed: Bill Gates approved Microsoft's participation in WS-I only on the condition that Sun would not be invited, as shown by one of the emails that came out in the trials.

On the plus side for JAX-RPC RI, the 1.1 version included in JWSDP 1.3 comes with WS-I BP support (something we're unlikely to see from Axis until sometime next year). Axis is definitely much easier to work with than the JAX-RPC RI, though, and I think with enough effort you can build BP-compliant applications using Axis (though only by bypassing the whole data binding implementation and working with a DOM view of the data, AFAIK - I put together a doc/lit service using attachments with this kind of approach last week).

- Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com
Redmond, WA  425.885.7197

=====