As long as you have a proper schema that defines the structure of the message, I see no advantage to making the application perform the XML processing. Applications work much better with native language objects. As long as you have the schema, you should be able to easily transform the data between Java and XML.

Perhaps you're confusing document style with message style?

These terms get confusing because "document" style has two separate meanings in Axis. From the WSDL perspective (which is a standard terminology), document style refers to the way that a SOAP message is constructed, encoded, and formatted. In essence, it means that the message is constructed according to a specific XML Schema definition. But the WSDL document style does not impose any restrictions on how the SOAP engine delivers the data to the application. In order to achieve the best interoperability, you should always use WSDL document style.

From the WSDD perspective (which is not standard terminology), document style refers to the way that the SOAP engine delivers data to the application. WSDD document style means that Axis will convert the message into a Java object.

Message style is another type of WSDD perspective. In Axis, WSDD message style requires that you also use a WSDL document style. Axis transforms the message into a DOM.

By default .NET uses the equivalent of the WSDD wrapped style. My recommendation it to use Wrapped style by default unless you have a reason not to.

Anne