----- Original Message ----- From: "Galbreath, Mark A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 4:17 PM
Subject: RE: Project from hell?

What's the solution?  I have pressure all over me to create Web services
for every f*cking application in the ..... department.  What gives?  It
seems to me that Web services has been way totally overhyped and it
delivers nothing of value.

You forget - the management have heard the phrase 'web services', as with most management once an idea gets in it doesn't get out for a while, so what the hell - do whatever you were going to do anyway and lie about it including web services ;) If your ethics don't let you do this for some reason then pick a bit of the current communication structure and move it to WS. It won't actually really benefit the application at all but it will mean your system 'uses the latest open standards from the w3c...' etc etc. It's not like the people saying 'use web services' are actually going to look at, let alone understand the code...

The alternative is to start a campaign of fear about the security holes. Point out that websites get hacked all the time, and that 'obviously web services have the same security risks'. Of course, that isn't really true, but it seems to me that your problem isn't a technical one at all, it's political, I'm sure you're good enough at what you do to provide them with the functionality they want, just a question of avoiding the interference from on high in the process.

Good luck :)

Tom (okay, this isn't an entirely serious reply, but it's not entirely joking either!)