Thanks everybody for your help.  The suggestions were all good and i tried
most of them to no avail... mainly because the problem was simple and with
the deployment descriptor.

The problem is that i did not declare the 'java' namespace in the deployment
descriptor, so while the data was added to the server-config.wsdd, there was
no logic to handle the provider 'java:EJB'.  Looking at the log file i
noticed that the service i had written and the Admin service produced the
same trace but the AdminService actually went into the Java provider code.  I
looked then again at other deployment descriptors and finally noticed that
the java namespace was included in the descriptor.

When i added that in, the service deployed, the methods showed up, the wsdl
was generated and I was able to call a method from the service via a client.

Thanks again for the help, hopefully i'll be able to return the favor
someday.

edward