Axis clients. You need Axis 1.2RC2 to actually write services, however.
Personally, the only advantage I've gotten out of JDK1.5 is the improved error
messages at compile time and the improved stack trace printing.  -- Andy

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/13/04 11:17AM >>>
I think people are missing his point. He's trying to build Axis from the
source and it won't build under JDK 1.5 because of the differences. Isn't
there some commandline parameter to compile using 1.4 compatibility. But
that would lose any benefits that 1.5 gives.

I guess there should be a branch of the apache projects for 1.5 vs 1.4 jdk.
In all honesty, 1.5 deserves to be called 2.0 it's that different!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bouche Paul [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 6:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Axis and Java 1.5

Hi,

> Upon further review, I discovered that the org.w3c.com.Node interface
> has the new method "getUserData(String key)" in Java 1.5.  I'm sure
> this is the reason for all the errors - interfaces not fully
> implemented.
I also got these errors when trying to build axis with Java 1.5. Yet this is
not needed.
The code that wsdl2java from Axis 1.2rc2 generates is compatible with Java
1.5.
So what you need to do is run the following with axis.jar in classpath

java org.apache.axis.wsdl.WSDL2Java <wsdl.uri> <any other options>

this will generate you all the needed classes to run axis as client against
the service specified in the wsdl.
This is what is meant by rebuilding or regenerating the files. You need to
run wsdl2java with the wsdl again.
Also if you are using ant you need to run the axis wsdl2java ant task
appropriately (I don't know much about this since I don't use ant).

> There are 16 of these errors so I suppose I could go through each one
> and add the missing methods.
>
> Now I am really wondering how it is that others have been able to
> compile under 1.5?
You should not have to rebuild axis under 1.5. Since has you can see that is
a lot of work and some things in deeper underlying structures have changed
to get it compiling again.

Concering tomcat, at least in a windows environment, it somehow if you
install java 1.5 after you installed tomcat under java 1.4 still gets a java
1.4 jvm even though you have installed java 1.5. So what I did was install a
clean tomcat merge this with the old one and then I added the new axis
1.2rc2 web app into tomcat. All works now.

-- Paul

> --- footh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone for you help.
> >
> > Here's an update:  I confess I don't quite understand what
> > "re-generating java files from the WSDL" means.
see above.