On Thursday 26 December 2002 10:54 pm, S Woodside wrote:

<snip/>

> Instead I just want to be able to
> pass through my entities like &copy, and so on without any hassle. I
> don't want to have to use <xsl:text blahblahblah>&amp;copy;</xsl:text>
> and other ugly constructions like that, or have to create length
> doctype declarations and so on.

This is a bit like, "I'm hungry, but I don't want to have to resort to all
that nasty chewing and swallowing to solve the problem. . ." ;->

The common HTML character entities "just work" in browsers because those
entities are a predictable, well-defined part of the HTML DTD. DTDs are *how*
character entities are defined.

Point is: if you want to use character entities beyond the tiny set internal
to XML (&amp;, etc) you will have to use doctype declarations-- no way around
it. The good news is that you don't need create messy inlined DTDs in every
document or stylesheet, just create a basic DTD that contains the entities
you'll need and point to that DTD via the SYSTEM identifier (or use the
PUBLIC identifier and make it part of your local catalog). For example:

<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet SYSTEM "html_entities.dtd">

will "import" the entities contained in html_entities.dtd file for use in the
XSLT stylesheet containing that external DTD.

Help at all?

-kip