Actually its the XSLT spec which says 'use HTML output mode if the document
looks like it might be HTML...' unless you override it, so basically you have
to set the output mode to be XML. Another set of problems with XHTML happens
at the browser end. Browsers don't REALLY understand that XHTML is XML, and
therefor they don't support certain 'XMLisms', like you cannot specify a CSS
stylesheet with a PI and have a browser honor it, even though it SHOULD. Same
seems to be true for character sets, the XML header can say 'ISO-8859-1' but
what does the browser believe? HTTP headers or META tags. So XHTML output
ends up being a sort of weird in-between land. Its really best to think of it
as a mutant HTML syntax and just forget that its really (supposedly sort of)
XML.

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 9:48 am, David Nolan wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:40 PM +0000 Andy Gale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> >  Using the
> > AxTraceIntermediate directive I've managed to ascertain that something
> > seems to converting my XHTML into HTML and reformatting it.
>
> The last stylesheet in your chain needs to tell AxKit to output XHTML,
> otherwise AxKit defaults to outputting HTML.
>
> In particular, the stylesheet should contain something like:
>
> <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" media-type="text/html"
>   doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>   doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
> />
>
> (If you prefer XHTML strict, modify appropriately.)
>

> -David Nolan
>  Network Software Developer
>  Computing Services
>  Carnegie Mellon University