probably you have (in XSLT) output set to "HTML" which converts it into a non XML format.

But you have just stumbled into the nastiest hornet's nest of XHTML, which is that there's no agreed-upon MIME type for XHTML. And older browsers will, of course, choke on XHTML especially if you set one of the more "correct" mime types (that is, not text/html). I don't remember all the details, but it's all well put out in an article called XHTML considered harmful or seomthing like that. Personally, I do my final output from XSLT in HTML format.

simon