I have a nasty suspicion its Perl's gnarly unicode support porking itself...

What version of perl are you running? I've seen the same basic phenomenon on a
few occasions, though only during development. I have this feeling that
certain types of errors can have a bad effect on the state of the
interpreter. Really don't have enough data to say for sure and it may even be
some different problem entirely, or it could be related to maybe processing
mixtures of ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 encoded data.

On Monday 12 January 2004 1:28 am, Matthew Smith wrote:
> My Apache/AxKit (Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)  (Gentoo/Linux) AxKit/1.61
> mod_perl/1.27 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6k configured) has a habit of
> randomly stuffing up the encoding of my XSP output.  On one request i
> get nice utf-8, on the next i apparently get jumbled chars, e.g.
>
> This issueÃ??s feature article, Esther MilneÃ??s
> Ã??Magic Bits of Paste-board: Texting in the Nineteenth
> CenturyÃ?ï, explores the notion of telepresenceÃ??substitution
> of the text for the corporeal bodyÃ??through a consideration
> of nineteenth-century visiting cards, those Ã??complex
> cultural avatarsÃ?ï that Ã??conveyed the desires of
> class and gender in the construction of identityÃ?ï.
>
> instead of
>
> This issueâs feature article, Esther Milneâs
> âMagic Bits of Paste-board: Texting in the Nineteenth
> Centuryâ, explores the notion of telepresenceâsubstitution
> of the text for the corporeal bodyâthrough a consideration
> of nineteenth-century visiting cards, those âcomplex
> cultural avatarsâ that âconveyed the desires of
> class and gender in the construction of identityâ.
>
> The output of AxTrace is always perfect utf-8 for all stages of the
> pipeline.  My browser always reports the meta info as
>
> text/html; charset=utf-8
>
> I have seen this in IE and mozilla.  I am running gentoo linux with perl
> 5.8.0.  My theory is that over time, one or two instances of the server
> get the garble bug and once they have it, they keep doing it.
> Restarting the server gets rid of the problem for a little while.
>
> Any hints?  Advice?  Similar observations?
>
> matt

Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain
http://www.giantelectronicbrain.com