Application searching is actually a feature built into the Ubuntu button, last
time I checked. Having it as a button that triggers the dock would serve well
for touchscreen enabled devices, but is impractical on non-touch devices, which
make up most of Ubuntu's userbase. Personally, I think that the current
implementation works, and I actually do find myself using the Ubuntu Button a
lot.