I'm completely agree with your vision.

> Try as I might I cannot find a usage scenario where the dash screen
> with
> the big "shortcut" buttons would be useful. If I want applications, I
> click the applications place; files, the files place; etc. So the
> "shortcut" buttons are shortcuts in name only, since they require an
> extra click to use

Click on Ubuntu's Icon for some shortcuts, lets see.. Apps (we an icon
on Launcher for that); Files and Folders (same situation that Apps);
then, Banshee (Sound Menu or Launcher if we want), Web Browser (include
on Launcher out of the box), Shotwell (same that Browser if we want)..

I mean, from Ubuntu's icon we can access to Web Browser, Apps,
Files/Folders, Banshee, Shotter... But, from Launcher we can access to
the same apps, folder or shortcuts. We have 3 icons for access  the same
Dash with 3 different (unnecessary) filtering options.

So:

- Maybe it could be better eliminate Apps and File/Folder's icons from
Launcher and integrate them on Ubuntu's icon.

- Use Ubuntu's Icon for show System Information or another useful
option/application.

> - Have it be a trigger to recall the dock. This would be useful in the
> case of a touch interface, so that the dock's autohide may be used on
> touch-enabled devices (esp. ones with limited screen real-estate)

This last idea it's great!

Regards!