From: JR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa
To: "Azores Genealogy" <Azores@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 10:10 AM

Many years ago I also read "Emigrants" by Ferreira da Castro. It is
indeed a classic. My mother and many other people who emigrated to the
US and Toronto can relate to these books. Brazil had a far worse
reputation and many wives feared their husbands going to Brazil,
because they knew other people whose spouses simply never returned or
were never heard from again.

Anthony de Sa is a teacher who grew up and still lives in Toronto. I
think people should appreciate that many of his stories, although
based on real life, are fictional and were written in different
styles. Some stories are surreal and interwoven with the real and the
fantastic. So the story about custom of the bride is true, but the
details of what happened are indeed fantastic, but no less
interesting. Mr. de Sa did a three part interview in Toronto and he
said that one of his primary sources of inspiration for his stories is
the stories his parents and grandparents related to him. You can see
it on u-tube.

John Roias